Close Menu
CairoMag
    What's Hot

    Cairo Water Week 2026 Plans Reviewed

    May 23, 2026

    EU Egypt migration funding deal falls short

    May 23, 2026

    Egypt World Cup Squad Shocks With Omission

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    CairoMag
    • Latest News
    • Business
    • Culture
    • Entertainment
    • Technology
    • Sports
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    CairoMag
    Home»Latest News»Trump Pushes Ahead With Higher Global Tariffs After Supreme Court Blow
    Latest News

    Trump Pushes Ahead With Higher Global Tariffs After Supreme Court Blow

    Rachel MaddowBy Rachel MaddowFebruary 21, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Telegram Pinterest Tumblr Reddit WhatsApp Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    A Swift Response to the Court

    Just a day after the US Supreme Court ruled that his sweeping tariff plan exceeded presidential authority, President Donald Trump announced he would raise global tariffs from 10% to 15%, effective immediately.

    In a social media post, Trump said the move followed what he described as a “ridiculous” and “anti-American” decision from the court. The justices had struck down his earlier tariff framework in a 6–3 ruling, concluding that he had overstepped by using emergency powers to justify broad import taxes.

    The case centered on Trump’s use of the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), a 1977 law typically reserved for sanctions. While previous presidents had used the statute for economic restrictions, Trump was the first to apply it to wide-ranging tariffs. Despite the setback, he insisted the ruling only blocked one specific method and said other legal tools remain available.

    Congress, the Constitution and Tariff Power

    In its majority opinion, the Supreme Court said the Constitution clearly grants Congress — not the president — the authority to impose taxes, including tariffs. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that the framers deliberately withheld taxing powers from the executive branch.

    Still, the decision does not prevent the administration from pursuing tariffs under other laws. Trump quickly pointed to national security tariffs under Section 232 and existing Section 301 measures, saying they remain “fully in place and in full force and effect.” He also announced new investigations aimed at what he called unfair trade practices.

    Vice President JD Vance criticized the ruling, arguing that Congress had intended to give the president broader authority to regulate imports.

    What Legal Options Remain?

    With IEEPA no longer an option for sweeping tariffs, attention has turned to other sections of the Trade Act of 1974. Section 301 allows the US Trade Representative to investigate and respond to unfair foreign trade practices, but the process can take up to a year before tariffs are imposed.

    Section 122 offers a faster route, permitting temporary import surcharges of up to 15% for 150 days in cases of serious balance-of-payments problems. However, those measures automatically expire unless Congress extends them, limiting their long-term impact.

    Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has previously acknowledged that these alternatives are less powerful and less efficient than the emergency powers Trump originally used.

    Meanwhile, lawsuits from states and businesses affected by the tariffs are continuing through the courts. Despite public skepticism about tariffs and concerns over rising costs, Trump signaled he has no intention of backing down. Some duties may fall away, he said, but others will replace them — keeping tariffs at the center of his economic strategy.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email
    Previous ArticleNew Nasal Vaccine Could Offer Wide Protection Against Flu, Colds and Lung Infections
    Next Article OpenAI Weighed Police Alert Months Before Deadly Canada School Shooting
    Rachel Maddow
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Cairo Water Week 2026 Plans Reviewed

    May 23, 2026

    EU Egypt migration funding deal falls short

    May 23, 2026

    Egypt World Cup Squad Shocks With Omission

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Latest News

    Egypt World Cup Squad Shocks With Omission

    May 21, 2026

    Gaza Humanitarian Aid Sent from Egypt

    May 21, 2026

    El-Sisi Pushes New Plan to Fight Inflation Fast

    May 20, 2026

    Egypt Pressured Al-Azhar Over Iran War Stance

    May 20, 2026
    Top Trending

    AI Advances for Astronaut Health

    Technology August 18, 2025

    Google and NASA collaborate on an artificial intelligence tool to address astronaut health issues during…

    Meta Under Fire Over AI Chats with Children

    Media August 18, 2025

    Leaked report sparks outrage A US senator launched an investigation after a leaked internal report…

    Record Heat Sparks Massive Wildfires Across Spain and Portugal

    Environment & Sustainability August 18, 2025

    Extreme temperatures escalate fire risk Southern Europe is facing a severe heatwave, intensifying ongoing wildfires.…

    CairoMag brings you fresh stories, news, culture, and trends from Cairo and beyond — your daily source for insight, inspiration, and authentic perspectives.

    We're social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    Categories
    • Business
    • Culture
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Environment & Sustainability
    • Health
    • Media
    • Latest News
    • Opinion
    • Real Estate
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Travel
    Latest News

    Cairo Water Week 2026 Plans Reviewed

    May 23, 2026

    EU Egypt migration funding deal falls short

    May 23, 2026

    Egypt World Cup Squad Shocks With Omission

    May 21, 2026
    All Rights Reserved © 2026 CairoMag.
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Imprint

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.